One of my favorite tracking implementation is tracking Clickfunnels OTO pages or Upsell pages. Most of my clients are having the same issues on tracking Upsells correctly. That’s why I created a solution to track upsells conversions the right way.
The Popular Way is a Huge Mistake!
The most popular solution is by simply going to Custom Conversion in your Facebook Ad Account.
Create New Custom Conversion and probably name it like Upsell One.Then, triggered the conversion based on visited website URL. Then, assign the Purchase value manually. Doing this will mess up you’re tracking.
Proper Way to Track Upsell Purchases
The best way to track upselll conversion is by tracking onClick event in the call to action button of purchase. It simply work, because when the buyer clicked the Upsell Call To Action button/link, it will automatically deduct the purchase amount to the active buyer credit card, since the last session of buyer from purchasing the main prodct offer is still active for the rest of the funnel journey, or until the buyer close the window/browser or by going idle for the longest time.
Track Upsell Purchase CTA & Trigger Purchase Event
The ultimate goal is to capture the click event of the buyer on OTO pages. I will give you a scenario and actual example for you to fully understand how it works and what you need to do to track upsell successfully.
Type A Upsell (Track Single Upsell Product)
1. Go and edit your Upsell 1 or OTO 1 Funnel. (the landing page after order form.)
2. Click the CTA (Call-to-Action) Button of your OTO 1/Upsell 1. After clickthe CTA Button, the right property window appears.
3. Then click # sign, a modal window will appear and it contains the ID selector of the CTA. Copy and Save the ID Selector somewhere like a Notepad. We need this later in our code.
4. Next, go to SETTINGS > TRACKING CODE and Copy and Paste the code below in to Footer Section.
Understanding Purchase + Purchase for Upsell
Now that everything is in place. Upsell 1 conversion is now being tracked using Standard Purchase event. It means that the Purchases of Main Product (Order Form) + Upsell One add up in your Facebook Conversion Column.
Separate Main Purchase & Upsell Purchase
In this section, we’re going to create custom conversions to split Main Purchase and Upsell One. This will give better understanding on how many buyers bought the Main Offer vs. Upsell.
How to Create Custom Conversions from Custom Event
1. Go to your Ad Account > Custom Conversion click Create Custom Conversion
2. This is how Custom Conversion window looks like.
3. In Website event dropdown select Purchase.
4. Close Rule 1 by clicking X icon.
5. Then, add Rule again by clicking Add Rule button.
6. In URL dropdown, select Event Parameters
9. Next, name the Custom Conversion as Upsell One, it can be change to anything you want.
10. Leave the Value empty and Save it.
Show Upsell One Column in Ad Manager
Now that we have created the Upsell One. Here’s how to make the Upsell One column visible inside Ad Manager.
1. Go to Ad Manager.
2. Click the Columns dropdown and click Customise Columns…
If you have more Upsells to track. Just repeat the step-by-step instructions and it should be good.
Remember that you need to install your Facebook Pixel code in the funnel setting to make the fbq function work.
Read: How to Track Facebook Purchase Conversion in Clickfunnels
If you don’t know yet how to verify if your pixel is working. Follow this guide on How to Check and Verify Facebook Pixel Events.